Uninstall Old Clients
Receiver 4.4 and newer includes Receiver Clean-Up so in theory it’s not necessary to uninstall old clients first. For more details see Citrix CTX135933 Upgrading to Citrix Receiver for Windows. To run it silently, runCitrixReceiver.exe /RCU /Silent
For a reliable upgrade experience, write a script to remove the old clients, clean up the registry and file system, and then deploy the new Receiver.
Citrix Blog Post Cookbook to Upgrade from Receiver 3.4 for Windows to Receiver 4.2.100 and Citrix Article CTX135933 Upgrading to Citrix Receiver for Windows contains step-by-step procedure to use Group Policy to uninstall Receiver Enterprise 3.4 and install/configure Receiver 4.x.
The Receiver Clean-Up utility is designed to assist with the following scenarios:
- When errors occur during upgrade from an earlier version of Receiver or Online Plug-in
- When unexpected behavior or performance is experienced after upgrade from an earlier Receiver or Online Plug-in
- If Receiver upgrade is not possible due to feature incompatibility and/or a clean uninstall is required
- The Receiver Clean-Up Utility removes components, files, and registry values of Online Plug-in 11.x, 12.x, and Receiver for Windows 3.x, 4.x (Online Plugin-in 13.x, 14.x). This includes the Offline Plug-in component if installed.
Installation and Configuration
This section contains a summary of all common command line switches, registry keys, and policy settings for Receiver.
- If a non-administrator installs Receiver then each non-administrator that logs in to the workstation will have to reinstall Receiver. Non-administrator installations are installed to%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client.
- If CitrixReceiver.exe is installed using an administrator account then the Receiver only needs to be installed once. Administrator installations are installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client. Administrator installations cannot be upgraded by non-administrators.
Add Account Wizard: From Citrix Knowledgebase article CTX135438 How to Suppress the Add Account Window in Citrix Receiver for Windows: After installation, Receiver will launch and ask you to add an account. If Receiver 4.4.1000 or newer, notice the new checkbox Do not show this window automatically at logon.
For Receiver 4.4, FTU will be displayed only if store is not configured. If store is already configured via command line, GPO, DDC then FTU screen will not be available after installation. Otherwise, FTU can be suppressed by doing one of the following: (Note: Receiver 4.4.1000 has a fix for preventing the Add Account wizard)
- Install using a command line switch: CitrixReceiver.exe /ALLOWADDSTORE=N
- Set the registry value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Citrix\EnableFTU=dword:00000000 (orEnableX1FTU =dword:0)
- Or disable the EnableFTU policy setting in Receiver.admx.
- Change Registry values post installation to suppress the Add Account window. UnderHKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Citrix\Dazzle, set AllowAddStore value to N.
- Set the registry value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Citrix\Receiver\NeverShowConfigurationWizard (REG_SZ) = trueDiscover Hidden Stores: When Receiver is first launched, it must perform Discovery, which is the process of downloading the .xml provisioning file from StoreFront. Discovery is performed by entering a StoreFront or Gateway FQDN. To discover a hidden store (a store that’s not advertised), add
%StoreNameto the end of the FQDN. CTX214819 Unable to add account from Receiver dialog If the store is hidden in storefront.
CitrixReceiver.exe Command line switches are detailed at Configure and install Receiver for Windows using command-line parameters at docs.citrix.com. Common Command line switches include the following:
- /includeSSON – enables pass-through authentication. GPO configuration is also required as detailed below.
- /ALLOWADDSTORE=A – by default, only SSL (HTTPS) stores are accepted. To allow non-SSL stores:
- /STORE0 – To add a store from the installation command line:
CitrixReceiver.exe /STORE0="AppStore;https://Citrix.corp.com/Citrix/MyStore/discovery;on;App Store"
- /SELFSERVICEMODE=False – disables the Self-Service interface and enables shortcut-only mode:
- /ENABLEPRELAUNCH=True – enables prelaunch:
- /ALLOW_CLIENTHOSTEDAPPSURL=1 – enables Local App Access:
Registry values at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Citrix\Dazzle on the Receiver machine. All are of type REG_SZ (string) unless specified. Note: several of these are configurable using the Reciever.admx group policy template.
- SelfServiceMode = False. Turn off the Self-Service interface.
- PutShortcutsOnDesktop = True. If Self-Service is disabled, places all shortcuts on desktop.
- UseDifferentPathsforStartmenuAndDesktop = True
- UseCategoryAsStartMenuPath = True or False
- UseCategoryAsDesktopPath = True or False
- StartMenuDir = name of folder on Start Menu where shortcuts are placed.
- DesktopDir = name of folder on Desktop where shortcuts are placed
- EnablePreLaunch = True. If SSON is enabled then PreLaunch is enabled by default.
- AllowAddStore = A. Only if using http (instead of https) to connect to StoreFront.
- AllowSavePwd = A. Only if using http (instead of https) to connect to StoreFront.
- UserDomainName = pre-filled domain name
- InitialRefreshMinMs = 1, minimizes the launch delay before contacting store
- InitialRefreshMaxMs = 1, minimizes the launch delay before contacting store
- RefreshMs – default = 3600000 (1 hour) (REG_SZ), interval for refreshes
- MaxSimultaneousFetches = 6 (dword)
- MaxSimultaneousSubscribes = 6 (dword)
- DontWarnOfRemovedResources = True, prevents dialog boxes when resources are removed from the server. (or False as mentioned at Citrix Discussions?)
- SilentlyUninstallRemovedResources = True, prevents dialog boxes when resources are removed from the server
- PreferTemplateDirectory = UNC path or local path containing shortcuts copied by the prefer keyword. Give the shortcuts a short name.
- PnaSSONEnabled = True. Enables Single Sign-on for PNAgent (Web Interface).
- WSCReconnectMode = 3 (default). If this Receiver is running inside a VDA published desktop, set it to 0.
- If you’re having trouble getting sessions to reconnect, see Receiver 4.3 Desktop will not auto-reconnect when logging into a machine at discussions.citrix.com
- AlwaysUseStubs = True. Receiver 4.3.100 and newer don’t create .exe stubs by default. Set this to create .exe stubs. Also see Citrix CTX211893 Controlling Shortcut behavior in Receiver 4.3.100.
- DontCreateAddRemoveEntry – don’t create “Delivered by Citrix” entries in Programs and Features
Registry value at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Citrix\AuthManager on the Receiver machine:
- ConnectionSecurityMode = Any. Only if using http (instead of https) to connect to StoreFront.
To prevent beacon probing from using proxy:
- BeaconProxyEnabled = 0 (DWORD)
To enable foreground progress bar, set:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\ICA Client
- ForegroundProgressBar = 1 (DWORD)
For client-to-server file type redirection, set:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\ClientDrive
To fix USB devices that emulate a keyboard, set:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Lockdown Profiles\All Regions\Lockdown\Virtual Channels\Keyboard
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client\GenericUSB (same path for 32-bit and 64-bit, create the keys)
- DisableInternalDeviceCtlDispatchHook (DWORD) = 0x1
To override the devices that are mapped using optimized channels instead of generic USB, see Citrix CTX123015 – How to Configure Automatic Redirection of USB Devices
Copy the Receiver ADMX template (C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\Configuration\receiver.admx) toC:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions (or Sysvol). Also copy receiver.adml to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us (or Sysvol). Edit a GPO that applies to client machines, go to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Citrix Components | Citrix Receiver.
- To enable pass-through authentication: go to | User Authentication |.
- Local Username and Password – Check the top two boxes.
- Also add the StoreFront FQDN to the Local Intranet zone in Internet Explorer.
- To add a store, go to | StoreFront |
- StoreFront Accounts List – see the help text
- To enable Local App Access, go to | User Experience |
- Local App Access Settings
- To disable the Self-Service interface, go to | SelfService |
- Set Manage SelfServiceMode to Disabled.
- Enable Manage App Shortcut and configure it as desired.
- Enable Control when Receiver attempts to reconnect to existing sessions. If this is a VDA published desktop, set it to Disabled. Otherwise configure it as desired.
Enable automatic client drive and client microphone mapping.
- In a client-side GPO, add the GPO ADM template from http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX133565.
- Enable the setting Create Client Selective Trust Keys. See Below for details.
- Configure the FileSecurityPermission setting in one or more of the regions.
- Configure the MicrophoneAndWebcamSecurityPermission setting in one or more of the regions.
Citrix CTX203658 Start Menu Icons Set to Default (Blank Document) After Update to Receiver 4.3.100 – Windows 8 and newer
- Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer
- Allow the use of remote paths in file shortcut icons = enabled