To reset the lost forgotten root password in vCenter Server Appliance 6.5:
- Take a snapshot or backup of the vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 before proceeding. Do not skip this step.
- Reboot the vCenter Server Appliance 6.5.
- After the OS starts, press e key to enter the GNU GRUB Edit Menu.
- Locate the line that begins with the word Linux.
- Append these entries to the end of the line:
The line should look like the following screenshot:
- Press F10 to continue booting.
- Run the mount -o remount,rw / command.
- In the Command prompt, enter the command passwd and provide a new root password (twice for confirmation):
- Unmount the filesystem by running this command:
- Reboot the vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 by running this command:
- Confirm that you can access the vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 using the new root password.
- Remove the snapshot taken in Step 1 if applicable.